Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sweet Sunday!

Happy Sunday to everyone!

For this weeks Sweet Stuff Sunday, I'm doing a review on a Coconut Cupcake with Key Lime Frosting.   Both of these recipes came from Elana's Pantry.  She has created a lot of gluten free recipes that are very, very yummy.  Check out her recipe for all the specific details and full list ingredients.



This recipe calls for unsweetened coconut, coconut flour, coconut oil, agave, eggs, baking soda and sea salt. 

The cupcakes were a little bit more dense than your "typical" cupcake.  I would say they were somewhere between a muffin and a cupcake.  This may have been because there was actual coconut in the muffin.  Here's a picture before they went into the oven:


As you can see, they don't really look like your typical "cupcake" batter.  They were really thick and drier than you'd expect.  I even read through the recipe a couple of times to make sure I didn't goof up the ingredients. 

This is what they looked like right out of the oven:

They're a very pretty golden brown color.


Since I mentioned the batter was a lot different than I usually make, I was worried the cupcakes would come out dry.  They seemed to get better with age.  I think they tasted even better the day after I made them than they did the day I made them.  This is awesome if you're baking a head!

The icing:  

The icing is really lime flavored whipped cream.  I was worried because I thought there was too much agave nectar for the amount of whipping cream.  I thought it would be runny, but decided to follow the recipe as written anyhow.  Sure enough, it took a LONG time to whip that whipped cream because of all the extra liquid.  I found that it didn't set up as pretty as hers did in the picture.  I did use mine a couple hours after making it and definitely should have whipped it up again.  I just forgot.  I think next time I'll just use the confectioner's sugar the way you make most whipped cream.

That being said:  I would definitely make these cupcakes again!  Since they are a little healthier than regular cupcakes I'd feel a lot better about giving them to Little Man.  The Hubs said he liked them, too but feels that I "should make them if people come over, but not necessarily for a pot-luck".   He seemed to think people might not "get" them without an explanation since the texture is different than what they'd expect.


Hope you try them and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment