Thursday, January 26, 2012

English Muffin Recipe

The Hubs works soo hard to provide for our family that I decided it would be nice to make him some homemade Breakfast Sammies that he can pull out of the freezer each morning before he goes to work.



I started out first by making the English Muffins from scratch.  This worked well for me because I had all the ingredients on hand and didn't have to go out and buy anything.  I haven't worked out the price per muffin yet, but they're super inexpensive to make.  I slightly altered both the ingredients and the directions from the original recipe which can be found here.  

Ingredients

1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast (=2.5 teaspoons), 1 cup warm water, 1/4 cup melted butter, 5 1/2 c all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt




Directions:
1.  Warm milk on the stovetop until it starts to bubble.  Remove from heat.
2.  Mix warm water, yeast and sugar together.  Let stand for 10 minutes.
3.  In a large bowl combine 3 cups of flour, warm milk, butter, and yeast mixture until combined.  I used my KitchenAid with the dough hook for this.
4.  Add remaining flour and continue to combine until it is well blended.
5.  Put dough into a greased bowl and cover with a towel.  Allow to sit for about an hour. 


This is what mine looked like after it sat for an hour.  It's kind of hard to tell but it did rise quite a bit.
6.  Punch dough and roll out to about a half inch thick.
7.  Use biscuit cutter or glass jar to cut out into circles

8.  Original recipe says to coat with corn meal and allow to sit on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 30 minutes.  I didn't have corn meal, so I just let them sit there. They will puff up while they're sitting there.

9.  Heat a greased griddle.  Cook on low until they're cooked through and slightly browned on the outside.  

The first batch I may have slightly undercooked while on the stove top because I had the stovetop set to medium and the outsides cooked a lot faster than the insides.  This caused there to be less nooks and cranny.  The second time I made them I let them cook slower on medium and they came out better. 








To make the egg mixture and for the breakfast sammie, I pretty much used the recipe located here.  Check it out!  It's a genius way to make the eggs a perfect size to put on your breakfast sammie.  My good friend Tabitha told me how she scrambles up the eggs and adds breakfast meats and other veggies to the eggs before baking in the muffin tins.  This is an awesome idea as The Hubs is a huge fan of bacon or sausage in his breakfast sammies.  Thanks for sharing your great idea, Tabitha!

I hope you all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment