Filing cabinets always look soo dull and drab. A little spray paint and some removable wall decals go a long way to bring a fresh look to your filing cabinet.
Our filing cabinet currently lives in our room, but will probably be put back into our master closet. I decided to paint our filing cabinet light blue to match our room. I also added some flower decals in red, golden-yellow, green and blue to give it a pop of color.
Here is our before picture:
and here is our after picture:
- 1 Can Primer (I used Krylon Primer in White )
- Spray paint (I can't remember what color blue I used. I used the Krylon Glossy White for the handles)
- Painters tape
- Wall Decals (I used the Jennifer Wall decals from Target)
- Dust filing cabinet.
- Take the handles off. (Open drawer and push on the handle - It should pop out the front of the cabinet)
- Tape the lock so you don't get paint in it.
- Follow instructions on primer and spray paint. I ended up doing three coats of primer.
- Wait until primer dries and then spraypaint. I pretty much used the whole can.
- Primer and spray paint the handles your desired color.
- Wait for it to dry and put stickers on and handles back into the cabinet.
I didn't bother sanding the filing cabinet before primering it. This was my first time spraypainting anything, so I made sure to start with the back of the filing cabinet just to make sure I had my technique down.
I hope you enjoy this project. I think it's a nice, easy way to decorate furniture you might already have in your house.
If you enjoyed this post you might also like....
(Note: The link in this post is my referral link. I was not compensated to review this product. Please view my disclosure policy for more details.)