Sunday, February 19, 2012

Breakfast Smoothie

I know on Sundays I usually do a dessert....but I forgot to purchase one of the ingredients for the dessert I was going to do.  hehe  So today I'll share my breakfast smoothie.  I have a really difficult time wanting to eat anything solid in the morning but I usually wake up thirsty - so this works for me. 

My Green Smoothie

I really thrown anything and everything into a blender.  When I say anything, I mean anything: spinach, olive oil, avocado, oatmeal, pumpkin, you name it!  It really depends on what I have in the house.  

Here is the recipe I typically use for my Green Smoothie
-  8 oz milk (you can also use soy, coconut milk, or almond milk.  I have used water in a pinch)
-  1 Scoop Protein Powder (or a 1/2 C plain, nonfat yogurt)
-  1 Banana
-  Heaping handful of raw green spinach (Sounds really icky - but you can't taste it at all)
-  2 tbsp Flaxseed meal (optional) *
-  2 tbsp wheatgerm (optional)
-  1-2 Tbsp olive oil, or coconut oil, or peanut butter (the oils sound really gross, but you can't taste them, I promise.  The oil is really good for absorbing nutrients) 
-  Ice.  However much you like: I usually add a pretty big cupful

Pour your liquid in first and pile everything else in.  Blend until it's a smooth consistency.  If you need it thicker, add more spinach or more banana.  If you need it thinner add more liquid.

*Flax seed is an awesome additive to put in your smoothie...it's very fibrous and will make you have to go to the bathroom.  If you're new to flax seed, start with a teaspoon and work your way up.

Hope you enjoy this recipe.  I'll try to post a few of my other recipes up here since I usually have a least one smoothie a day. 

Enjoy your Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try this. I'm also look forward to your other recipes because I've been wanting to make more smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED THIS! I made mine with almond milk, coconut oil (melted), and the rest of your ingredients and it was awesome. Since my coconut oil is not refined it added great flavor with the coconut.

    ReplyDelete